With all the talk about Game of Thrones lately, which is a series I haven't read and/or seen, I thought it wouldn't be too weird if I wrote a post about another fantasy series I got sucked into, namely the Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfuss.
However, the post is extraordinarily long so I've tagged it as not appearing in the main blog.
Click here for the full version.
Here is the tl;dr version:
- There are three races: Ruach, Fairies, and Men. Fairies and Ruach are the same species; Fairies are Ruach that have been changed into a new race by Shaping magic.
- The Shapers created the Faen Realm as a playbox. Iax stole the moon into the playbox and that started the Creation War.
- The Stormwal mountains are the front of the Creation War. To the west is the Ergen Empire, the Shapers domain, populated entirely by Ruach. To the east is the Knowers Domain, which may be populated by Ruach, but the bulk of the armies is Men.
- The Knowers' goal is to attack Fae, steal the moon back, and destroy the Fae, and the Ergen empire, but the war never actually made it to the Faen Realm, because it was necessary to conquer all of Ergen first.
- The Knowers dominate the war until the appearance of Lanre, who turns the tide.
- Some time after Drossen Tor, Lanre begins to conspire with seven others (inlucing Lyra) against the Empire.
- Lyra changes her mind, and Lanre kills her in his rage.
- Lanre speaks tries to get a panacea from the Ctheah and ends up with great power, but can't resurrect Lyra, and falls into despair.
- Lanre and the Chandrian betray seven cities to the enemy. One city (the city Lyra would have betrayed, Antus, located in present-day Yll) does not fall and the empire is left with hope.
- The Chandrian set themselves up as kings of the conquered lands. Yll is protected by the Amyr and Singers. The Creation War becomes a stalemate.
- Yll becomes a civilized society, inventing writing (Yllish knots).
- At some point, a revolutionary called Taborlin the Great arises in the eastern part of Chandrian lands, and is the first person who is able to defeat the Chandrian, using Shaping magic, and the amazing thing is that he is a human rather than a Ruach.
- Taborlin frees Tinue, which is henceforth called the Free City, creates a Lockless box the holds the Chandrian's former power, and establishes the Lockless Line.
- The Chandrian can no longer rule openly and must now strike like lightning from a clear blue sky.
- Humans in the lands freed by Taborlin begin to make strides in civilization, invent more convenient writing, and quickly overtake Yll in power and knowledge.
- At beginning of known written history, Ceald develops currency, the Aturan Empire is founded, and the map gels into the form we know today.
- Wary of the threat posed by Atur, the Amyr use backhanded tactics to gain influence in Aturan empire (namely, they set themselves up as an organization connected to the Tehlin church that had autonomous power in the Aturan empire).
- When the Aturan empire collapsed, the Amyr went back to being a secret organization.